The perfect recipe to use up some leftover cornbread.
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup well drained salsa
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen spinach souffle, defrosted
- 1 egg
- 3 cups crumbled day-old baked Fleischmann's® Simply Homemade® Cornbread Baking Mix
- Additional salsa for dipping
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Heat butter in a skillet over low heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add well-drained salsa and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Combine onion mixture, cheese, spinach souffle, egg and cornbread in a large mixing bowl with a spoon until well mixed. Using your hand, form 1-inch sized balls and place on baking sheet.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Serve immediately with your favorite salsa.
Recipe Note: 3 cups of crumbled cornbread is slightly less than half of a pan, making this recipe the perfect way to use up leftover cornbread.
Flavor Variation: To add smokey bacon flavor, stir in 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon into cornbread mix before baking.