A hearty breakfast bake, perfect for brunch.
- 1 package Fleischmann's® Simply Homemade® Cornbread Baking Mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter OR margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 16 to 18 ounces sausage links
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt fine grind
- 1/4 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 to 3 green onions, sliced, for garnish
One day ahead of serving:
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions. Spread batter into a 13 x 9-inch pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely; cut into 1-inch cubes.
On day of serving:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add onion and cook over low heat, about 5 minutes until tender. Stir in hash browns and break apart. Continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until potatoes are just turning brown. Remove from heat and spread potatoes in prepared pan.
Slice sausages into 1/2-inch slices and add to skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, turning frequently, until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, salt and pepper in large bowl until smooth.
To assemble, top the hash browns with the cornbread cubes and sausage. Pour the milk mixture over the top.
Bake for 40 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 to 20 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with green onions sprinkled over top.